Pages

Saturday 13 July 2013

Great Yorkshire Show and York Birds of Prey Centre

This week has been pretty good. The sun's shining and I don 't work very much so I could enjoy it, for once :D. Normally it's nice when I'm at work. I've been intentionally bad and failed to put suncream on resulting in burns. However, it's going brown and I have a bit of a tan. First time in about two years. :)

I've been quite busy as I went to the Great Yorkshire Show on Wednesday which was pretty good. I stroked sheep, cows and goats! It was fun and I bought quite a bit of stuff from there, which is bad seeing as I'm trying to get rid of stuff from my room. Oh well! :p

Rasta sheep!

I've also had Mike here for a few days. We went to have a wander around York on Thursday and we were going to go to another restaurant, that I had seen had good reviews for, but when they got there there were no tables. :( Must be good to be fully booked from about 5. We'll go next time. Instead we came home and had takeaway, a lot of takeaway ha!

Then Friday I'd found a place in York for us to go to. I'd read that it had good reviews and to be honest it didn't disappoint. It's called the York Birds of Prey Centre and was £6.50 each to get in, a similar place in Sheffield that we were going to go to was £12 each! It was only small but had about 80 birds and so many members of staff who knew quite a lot about the birds. You could also ask to hold any of the birds there.

I loved it as I got to hold a few birds and I got involved in the shows as well. They were very informative in the shows and had a range of knowledge about the history of falconry, not just the birds. I loved one of the owls that they had called Bounty which flew from bench to bench and loved to be stroked. It was amazing how close you could get to the birds.

I'd highly recommend going there and I bet it will become a highly recognised place before long, which will probably mean that the price will go up but to be honest, it's worth it. They even let you feed and play with the baby birds that they had. They hand rear them from chicks so that they are used to human contact from an early age. We got to play with baby Barn owls and a Sparrowhawk chick. Mike had an affinity for the sparrowhawk. They were cute in an ugly way and as it was quite warm they kept walking under my legs to get to some shade. They were only a few weeks old but you could tell what they were going to be.

Another plus to the place is that even though it's very new (Open about 7 weeks) they have different experiences that you can do where you can really get to know the birds and they are quite affordable. I think if I hadn't have already been and held some of the birds I would have enjoyed the half day experience you can have. It's only £39.99 and looked like it would be very good.

Tripadvisor: York Birds of Prey Centre
Website: York Birds of Prey Centre












xx

1 comment:

  1. awesome, i plan to go there too~

    Regards, www.lonelyreload.com (A Growing Teenager Diary)

    ReplyDelete