Pages

Thursday 4 July 2013

Hong Kong Wok: Chinese

Apparently, I like to eat as it wasn't that long ago that I posted the review on Ottto's: Moroccan. This time, Mike and I went to Hong Kong Wok which is a Chinese down London road near Mike's house. I like restaurants that are easy to get to plus it was a warm night which is always a nice addition :D But I do enjoy going a bit further out so next time Mike is coming to mine and I'm going to find a nice place to go in York. I don't think it's as diverse as Sheffield is so it will probably be a traditional place.

Back to Hong Kong Wok, it's a quaint place with a red and black decor and a huge menu. 20 page menu plus a set menu list! I liked the fact it wasn't filled with Chinese lanterns and dragons, it had canvases of skylines and Chinese food, I thought it looked quite modern.
We had walked past earlier in the day and had spotted a set menu that was £13 per person which sounded nice so we only had a quick glance through the main menu. Good job as it would have taken us ages to find dishes we liked it had that many items.
They gave us chopsticks and as it's been awhile since I've used them. It took me a minute to get used to them again. Mike thought he was king as he got it straight away even though I taught him how to use them! No respect :p smug git when it took me a bit longer.
Also I always think it's a good sign when there are Chinese people in Chinese restaurants. If they think it's good then it's obviously good. It might not be but I go on that :p

We went for a set menu that included:
Crispy shredded duck and pancakes for the starter. It was lovely and there was more than enough duck for the amount of pancakes we got. It also came with hoisin sauce which goes well with duck.
Crispy Shredded Beef with Chilli. My favourite dish of them all. I loved the sauce on them.
King Prawn with Szechuan Sauce. Bit hot for my liking but Mike took all the chillies off my bits so it wasn't too bad :D
Chicken with Sugar Snap Peas. I liked the sugar snap peas but the sauce it came in wasn't to my taste and reminded me off bogies. Ha! I left most of this dish to Mike.
Egg Fried Rice / Soft Noodles.
Vanilla Ice Cream. We did ask for the Chinese dessert but they had sold out, maybe next time.

Here's their website: Hong Kong Wok website
Here's the trip Advisor page: Tripadvisor- Hong Kong Wok

I love Chinese food but most of the time I get it from a take away. It's nice to actually go to a Chinese restaurant. The staff were very accommodating and apologetic when they forgot our drinks and when one server got distracted talking to me and poured most of the sauce on the table when he was cleaning up. It almost got Mike but missed, pfft, oh well :p

As a quick note, bouldering didn't go too badly :D I have acrylic nails so it was sometimes difficult to grip properly and I found it difficult to hold on and think about the next place to put my feet and hands. I'd go again but I don't think I'd make it a hobby, but you never know the more I go the more I might start to really enjoy it. I need to get a bit stronger. xx

1 comment:

  1. like it too but expensive for me, currently live in sheffield~

    ReplyDelete