Pages

Saturday 8 June 2013

La Mama: Latin Tapas Bar

So, for the last two days I've been bad with eating and my workouts however, I hadn't seen Mike in over a month so I wasn't too bothered about it.
We made banana bread, carrot cake and Mike made me his version of beef bourguignon, it was lovely :D.

On the night before I left we went to a lovely little Latin tapas bar called La Mama. We had a discussion about what cuisine we wanted to eat. We always have Italian, Chinese, Indian, English etc and I didn't want Moroccan (however, decided we'd have this next time) so we decided on Spanish. We've been to La Tasca and I think it's nice, Mike doesn't think much to it don't know why though, but we wanted somewhere nearby and not a chain restaurant. We found La Mama and looked on trip advisor for some reviews, most of them said it was excellent and I now see why. Here's their trip advisor page La Mama Tripadvisor.

There's always going to be some people who don't like places which could depend on anything how busy the restaurant is, the mood the staff/ customers are in etc. We went with the majority of reviews that said it was excellent.

Here's their blog :D: La Mama Blog

Mike and I are quite big eaters so we ordered 4 tapas dishes including hummus and homemade bread, meatballs, chorizo in a cider sauce, peri peri chicken and whitebait. The waitress made a mistake with our order and sent out spareribs instead of the meatballs and they rectified it no problem, plus gave us the spareribs for free. Bonus! :D Free food is always good in my books.
I love Spanish food so we also ordered their speciality mixed seafood and chicken paella, which they said would take 40 mins to cook. I liked that it was cook to order and the chef himself came out to explain that it would be another 15 mins after we'd had the tapas. He was so lovely and polite, as well as the waitress that was serving us. Once it was ready the chef brought the paella to the table and explained that we could either eat it on the plates that we were given or we could eat it the traditional way and just eat it from the dish. It was a nice touch to be told how we could eat it.

Everything was delicious, I couldn't actually decide which dish I liked the best. However, the paella was near the top of the list. When I went to Spain on holiday we had paella and to be honest I've loved it ever since. I got a craving for it so that's why we had it. I love rice so paella was a perfect choice. The only thing I would say is that the squid rings were a bit chewy but I've had a lot worse and they were only a small part of the dish, overall it was amazing :D. I would definitely go back and recommend it to anyone. The place is quite small but very quaint and as it was a warm night the doors at the front were open. It's location is a bit out of the way, about 20 min walk away from the city centre but only a 5 min from Mike's house so it was great for us :D

Next cuisine is Moroccan as I've never tried it before and I'd like to try tagine :)
It's amazing how much my food tastes have changed. Before I met Mike I'd never tried and wouldn't try curry, chilli, lamb, mussels, squid and a lot more other things. I was a picky eater but Mike made me try different things.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment